Journeys of Paul REL3034.E1
Read Acts 11:22-30; then 12:25 -14:28. Also read Bruce, pages 126-147, and 160-172. Consult a map of Paul’s First Missionary Journey and memorize the key cities in order.
Then answer the following questions (four pages).
1. What is significant about the city of Antioch in Syria?
2. Describe the leadership of the church that emerged in Antioch, and explain how Barnabas and Paul came to be missionaries?
3. Who was John Mark? Tell everything you can discover about him.
4. Summarize their encounter with bar-Jesus on Cyprus.
5. Summarize Paul’s sermon in the synagogue of Pisidian Antioch.
6. Explain what happened in Lystra. Who opposed Paul, and how did it end?
7. When arriving in a new city, Paul typically began by visiting the local Jewish synagogue and preaching there. Explain why he would do that.Paul
Apostle of the Heat Set Free
‘Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there the heart is free’
(2 Corinthians 3:17, Basic English Version)
F. F. Bruce
Copyright © 1977 F. F. Bruce
First published 1977 by Paternoster
Revised (second) Edition 1980
This Digital Edition 2005
Paternoster is an imprint of Authentic Media,
9 Holdom Avenue, Bletchley,
Milton Keynes, MK1 1QR, UK.
P.O. Box 1047, Waynesboro,
GA, 3080-2047, U.S.A.
The right of F. F. Bruce to be identified as the Author of this Work has been asserted
in accordance with Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a
retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electric, mechanical,
photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior permission of the publisher
or a license permitting restricted copying. In the U.K. such licenses are issued by the
Copyright Licensing Agency, 90 Tottenham Court Road, London W1P 9HE.
British Library Cataloguing in Publication Data
a Catalogue record for this book is
available from the British Library
TO MY GRAND-DAUGHTERS
HELEN, ANNA, ESTHER AND WINONA MARY
AND MY GRANDSONS
PETER, FREDERICK, ALAN AND PAUL
bearing in mind T. R. Glover’s comment on a Roman Emperor’s
condemnation of the Apostle to the Gentiles—that the day was
to come when men would call their dogs Nero and their sons
1. The Rise of Rome
2. The Jews under Foreign Rule
3. “Of No Mean City”
4. “This Man is a Roman Citizen”
5. “A Hebrew Born of Hebrews”
6. “When the Time had Fully Come”
7. The Beginning of “The Way”
8. Persecutor of the Church
9. Paul Becomes a Christian
10. Paul and the Jerusalem Tradition
11. Paul and the Historical Jesus
12. Paul and the Exalted Christ
13. Paul and the Hellenistic Mission
14. Man of Vision and Man of Action
15. Conference in Jerusalem
16. Church Extension in Cyprus and Asia Minor
17. The Gentile Problem
18. “What the Law could not do”
19. Flesh and Spirit
20. Antioch to Philippi
21. Christianity in Thessalonica
22. Paul and the Athenians
23. The Church of God at Corinth
24. Corinthian Correspondence
25. Baptism and the Lord’s Supper in Pauline Thought
26. Ephesus: Open Door and Many Adversaries
27. Paul and the Life to Come
28. Farewell to Macedonia and Achaia
29. The Gospel according to Paul
30. Last Visit to Jerusalem
31. Caesarea and the Appeal to Caesar
32. “And So We Came to Rome”
33. Paul and Roman Christianity
34. The Letter to Philemon
35. Principalities and Powers
36. The Quintessence of Paulinism
37. The Last Days of Paul: History and Tradition
38. Concluding Reflections
Index of People, Places and Writings
Index of Subjects
Index of Reference
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.